Thursday 17 October 2013

Multiple Intelligence



From both article that were given in the class, I can see that intelligence which is a property of all human being that differs in each individual had lead Howard Gardner to come out with his theory of multiple intelligence. His theory had given such a huge impact on the learning styles for the students from back then till now. It brings out the revolution on how the students look and see themselves that in a way enable them to be aware of their own intelligence profiles, to develop self-regulation, and to participate more actively in their own learning. From the article I can find that, they are several items that were highlighted as the main gist in it;


1.     The greatest potential of multiple intelligences approach to education grows from the concept of a profile of intelligence.
2.     Most students have jagged profile and some with search profile
3.     During intermix of intelligence; there will be interference, compensation and enhancement.
4.     Collaboration among students were encouraged during class activity
5.     Teachers are required to provide rich experience for students
6.     Rich experience will engage the student with the material personally, learn along several dimensions, and provide diagnostics information for teachers.
7.    Intrapersonal and interpersonal intelligence are personal intelligences that should be developing in all students.

For this, I can see that it is necessary for teachers or even students to analyze themselves on what is the best way for them to learn. When you know which intelligence that you are good at, it will definitely gives you the advantage of learning materials in a more effective way.

Previously, I had the difficulties on concentrating in class. When teachers or lecturers are talking in front, I tend to think of other things however when it comes to discussion-based things, I become more excited and can remember things that were discussed very well. From there, I can actually see that I’m a linguistics and bodily kinesthetic person. I discover that, I can easily learn something when I have to deal with people as it involves my coordination of physical movement besides using spoken and written communication.



Nevertheless, I became a little bit confuse when it comes to collaboration among student’s part. Even though ideally when students collaborate, the students with compatible profile can work together with other students to solidify and built up strength.  However, they might also be students with a weaker strength of intelligence in certain areas find that they are useless in the group. When they contribute nothing in the group, they result in a lower self-esteem. It can also happened in a situation where students become more passive in a group and learn nothing when the group members are too dominant. Therefore, teachers might overlooked students with this type of behavior and will have the tendency of leaving them out. To this I can see that, group collaboration might bring positive impact and sometime negative impact on the students’ themselves.



In the other hand, from the experience I had of teaching students in a kindergarten, I think it necessary for a teacher to have the knowledge in psychology, which provides a wide range of information and understanding of a human behavior. I learned a lot when I observed kids throughout their period of learning time and that experience synchronizes with the knowledge that I gain from the article. Humans are equipped with various types of intelligences and are very different for every each of them. So, that explain why certain students learn their best when we have our art session and why certain student are excited when it comes to dancing class. Oh how I wish I can get back to them and re-plan my lessons plan to provide richer experiences for the kids! 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your reflection. Yes, Gardner's MI Theory is hugely influential, and despite the criticisms/challenges voiced by critics, I think there is at least something we can learn from the MI Theory--at the least, we should learn to respect differences and appreciate diversity among learners.

    I'm glad you're able to tie the Theory of MI to your past teaching experience, and have found the content from the reading useful in informing you how you should go about planning and conducting classroom activities. If you currently are involved in some form of teaching (e.g. private tuition), maybe you can see if you can utilise this theory of MI in your classroom practice, and share how it goes?

    ReplyDelete